fuzzy, black dogs

fuzzy, black dogs
The original three fuzzy, black dogs -- Bob, Ace and Lilly.

Phillip's Scenic Overlook

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Reach Out and Touch Someone

I ran into an old friend of mine recently. I gave him one of my Fuzzy, Black Dogs cards and told him he could find me on Facebook.

"I actually don't do Facebook," he said. I detected a note of pride in his voice.
"I'm on Twitter, too," I ventured.
"Nope," he responded. I did detect some pride. "I'm not on any social media."

Not on any social media? Good gosh! Is he crazy? What is he thinking?!

I've recently joined both Pinterest and Tumblr. I'm not sure what I'm doing on Pinterest, quite honestly. 

And Tumblr? I don't do much there, either. I do follow my son, though, and that hasn't made me any wiser. I also follow some guy who posts the most beautiful outdoor photos. I'm happy with that. I enjoy the photos.

I've actually looked into a few other forums, like Instagram, Vine and Edmoto. None of them, however, make any sense to me. Don't look. You won't find me there.

I pondered on his choice for the rest of that evening. Good gosh! He may as well be off the grid, so to speak!

Think about that a moment. How will he see the 2,149th picture of little Tommy riding his trike? How will he know where his family is going for Easter? How will he even know when I've created a new post on Fuzzy, Black Dogs? Gasp!

And what does he do with his time? Read books and newspapers? Work around the house? Spend quality time with his family, sans digital devices? Talk about extreme...

I mean, how will people find him or even get in touch with him to let him know when his 30th high school reunion will be?

He must not realize the stress he's put on everyone else. In order to reach him, we'd have to dial a number or actually (shudder) go to his house. Or else we would have to... Have to...

Well, yeah. Put pen to paper! There! I said it! Please, dude! Don't make us do something so 20th Century!

P.S. I tried to contact him to warn him about this blog post, but he wasn't on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment