fuzzy, black dogs

fuzzy, black dogs
The original three fuzzy, black dogs -- Bob, Ace and Lilly.

Phillip's Scenic Overlook

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Late Start to National Poetry Month

I've gotten a bit of a late start this year, but better late than never, as I'm fond of saying.

"What is this month," I asked my kids, knowing full well that it's April, and April is National Poetry Month. Judging by their answers, they remain blissfully unaware of this fact.

Spring, autumn, April, March, May, "a new month" and "a month of the year," were the answers I received. My responses to crazy answers have improved. I now raise one eyebrow, and sometimes say, "really," with just a slight inflection of incredulity.

Regardless, we started out with a bang. We cranked out acrostics about spring. Here's the best.

Sunny
Pretty rainbow colors
Really fun
Ideas grow like flowers
Naturally fresh air
Good to be outside with friends

We immediately jumped into some cinquains. While some kind of get it, others don't. That's okay since we pulled out a couple of nice ones and managed to have fun in the process.

Cheetahs
Fast, dangerous
Hunting down prey
Providing food for babies
Cats

I only have three cinquains posted on the wall, currently. I particularly liked this one.

Hopefully, I'll be posting more poems, literally, at Mr. Haworth's poetry corner at school, as well here for your reading pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment