fuzzy, black dogs

fuzzy, black dogs
The original three fuzzy, black dogs -- Bob, Ace and Lilly.

Phillip's Scenic Overlook

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Lights Out in High Point!

That was some ice storm we had last week! While my neighborhood and I am still recuperating from it, the beginnings of the next one are coming down just outside my window... Great!

All things considered, I suppose it wasn't really all that bad. After all, I told my son, I went more than a month without power once when I was his age! And I didn't have hot water like we did through the ice storm because we didn't have a gas-powered hot water heater with us.

Being the wise 16-year-old that he is, my son informed me that being on Outward Bound and camping for a month doesn't count. Minor technicality, I say.

Regardless, I have chronicled the events of the ice storm so my readers can understand the harrowing predicament we were in and how we survived.

Day 1
We lost power around 3:30am Friday morning. I know because I have a timer on an appliance, and that was the time frozen on its face.
Regardless, I awoke to a frozen tundra in my bedroom. My wife and son seemed concerned, but I told them there was no real cause for alarm since our power would be restored soon.
Soon, however, didn't come. I told them this would be a fun adventure. No worries!

Day 2
My wife is in school. She needs power and internet. We packed up and left in search of both. We got there and couldn't get the TV working, but the internet worked! I even took a fishing rod and got in a few casts.

Day 3
We left paradise late and came back home. No power. No lights. And nearly no way into the neighborhood. Many trees, telephone poles and power lines were down. Oh, yeah. And no internet, as my son reminded me. And reminded me.
"My gosh, Dad," my teenager said. "You were born before the internet! What did you do all that time as a kid?! I can't take it!!"
Luckily, there were some food places open in High Point that could take a credit card. I was ready to get the camping stove.

Day 4
I was ready to kill my son and wife. My wife had plans to take me out and utilize child labor. My son had no internet and was crumbling fast. Three fuzzy, black dogs were ready to eat the human faction in the frozen house. The basement was flooded.
And at 9:30pm, magic struck and power was restored!

Let's pray we don't have to go through THAT again.

No comments:

Post a Comment