fuzzy, black dogs

fuzzy, black dogs
The original three fuzzy, black dogs -- Bob, Ace and Lilly.

Phillip's Scenic Overlook

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Little Drawer of Horrors

I recently started a project of immense magnitude. A project so deep with far-reaching ramifications that it could shake the foundation of mankind. I actually attempted to clean out "the drawer."

You all know what I'm talking about. We all have one. Some people don't like to admit it, but it's there, lurking in the kitchen or the living room. It goes by many different names such as the 'catch all' drawer or the 'junk' drawer. Personally, I call mine the little drawer of horrors.

For some reason, I actually have two of these drawers in my house... No, make that three. Perhaps that means I have too much junk in my house.

Regardless of how much junk I have, I began the cleaning process on the little drawer of horrors, which for me is my nightstand drawer.

I predicted that the cleaning process would uncover layers, like as in geological sediment layers. Instead, it came out more like a poorly mixed soup. The heavier items, it seems, simply sank to the bottom just waiting to be discovered.

I found all sorts of neat items. I found a Father's Day card from my nine year-old son (he's now 15!). I found a loose knife blade, a kids pencil sharpener, an earring (what?), and my Fisher Space Pen made from a .375 caliber bullet shell, and a couple hundred other various cheap and expensive pens.

Three hours later, my wife came and found me reading a pamphlet I found in the drawer. In another 15 minutes, she had the drawer nearly cleaned.

I say nearly because I intend to fix that broken knife one day -- you know, in my spare time. And some of those cheap, plastic pens that don't work have fond memories attached to them. And my Father's Day cards...

No comments:

Post a Comment