fuzzy, black dogs

fuzzy, black dogs
The original three fuzzy, black dogs -- Bob, Ace and Lilly.

Phillip's Scenic Overlook

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Good Gravy! What Is That?

I have donned the denim 'Goddess' apron once again to attempt the seemingly impossible. I have, once more, tried my hand at making gravy.

There have been several attempts in the past to make home made gravy. The first attempt was... Well, let's just say it was a first attempt.

I was single at the time. Apparently, I felt pretty brave since the only thing I had cooked previously was chocolate brownies from a mix. Those brownies somehow ended up just a little on the salty side.

Regardless, I got everything I needed for my gravy. If memory serves me correctly, I used butter, oil of some kind, some kind of flour, salt, cream of tartar and some milk. According to Google, this is pretty close to the list of ingredients one would use to make home made play dough.

Needless to say, that gravy went out the back door. As a matter of fact, I think it was still there, months later, when I moved out of that condo.

Anyway, since I got married, I've tried my hand at gravy one other time. I mixed. I stirred. I slaved. I sipped (my beer, of course!). I watched my heat. I continued stirring. My wife went easy on me and said it was a little "pasty." The dog, however, didn't and turned up his nose and walked away. 

And tonight's gravy? I'll let the picture tell the story for me...

May not be pretty, but it was easy on the palette.


While it could have used a bit more salt and pepper,
this is all that was left after dinner. Finally! Edible gravy!

My next cooking challenge? I may try creating my own barbecue sauce again. Maybe a good, gluten-free bread. 

Really, though, I've always wanted to brew my own beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment