fuzzy, black dogs

fuzzy, black dogs
The original three fuzzy, black dogs -- Bob, Ace and Lilly.

Phillip's Scenic Overlook

Friday, February 14, 2014

Cool Father Takes Milestone in Stride

We've reached a major milestone -- our son has not only turned 16, but has now received a drivers license. Let me reiterate that. My little boy now owns a certificate that says he can get in my vehicle and drive it practically when and where he wants!

Being an awesome, cool father, I am handling this remarkably well! I'm rather cool and collected about the whole thing. I'm totally chillaxed, even though my son doesn't like me using that word.

"I'm going to drive to band by myself, Dad," he said.
"What time do you need to be there," I asked. "Keep in mind how long it will take to get there. Eastchester can be tricky this time of day. Call me when you get there. Any time you go anywhere, you must call me when you get there so I'll know you are safe. Always tell me where you're going. Watch out for crazies! They cause all the accidents. And don't forget..."

That's when he cut me off. I'm happy to say that I was not crying. I had just been squinting in the bright sunlight and already had a little wetness in the corners of my eyes.

As a matter of fact, we just got licensed this morning. Notice the word 'we.' Perhaps it would be more accurate to say he got licensed. I got relicensed.

Somewhere in the process, the officer asked me for my identification. I pulled out my wallet, whipped out my drivers license and handed it to him. He analyzed it and me for a cool minute. I was beginning to sweat.

"Good Lord, Dad," my son exclaimed in front of the officer. "Did someone throw acid on your face or just on your license?!"

I think my license has gotten wet a couple of times. The information on it is mostly legible. Also, you can tell it's a picture of me. My left ear and eye haven't changed a bit.

I think I may recognize that left ear and eye...

The officer informed me that as long as it hasn't expired and I'm not changing any information, it's free to get a new license. It was strongly suggested that I do so. Immediately.

So now my son and I get to wait approximately 15 days for our licenses. I almost feel like a 16 year-old again waiting for my license to arrive.

Unfortunately, the arrival of the license won't get me anywhere. My Volvo remains dead at the side of my house. The good news is that my son can't take it when and where he pleases! However, I can't either.

And for some reason, just like when I was 16, no one seems willing to let me borrow their vehicle. Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment