fuzzy, black dogs

fuzzy, black dogs
The original three fuzzy, black dogs -- Bob, Ace and Lilly.

Phillip's Scenic Overlook

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Customer Service? What's That?

I tried to pay my cell phone bill today. Please note the word 'try.' I may have been successful, but the customer service was a hindrance and the technology robbed me. Literally.

It started as I walked confidently into our local AT&T store to pay my phone bill. I smiled and looked around, noticing several employees lumped together. They stared back at me as though I had a cow on a leash at my side.

I walked up to what I perceived to be the friendliest face in the bunch.

"Who do I make my payment to," I asked.

"We don't take payments," the young girl said with obvious disdain in her voice. "Sir," she added after a brief hesitation. At least she was attempting courteousness. I think.

One of the gentleman in the group jumped to help me. He pointed out the payment kiosk, explained it and showed me how to get started and what to do.

The uncaring payment kiosk.

So I went through the motions. I input my account number. I hit electronic screen buttons. I verified my identity to the machine. It verified that I owed it money. And then... Problem.

Apparently, the payment machine takes credit cards, debit cards and exact cash, and perhaps checks. Of course, I had none of these with me. I had cash, but not the exact amount.

"Who do I get change from here in order to complete my payment," I asked that same 'friendly' face. I am a sucker for punishment.

"You have to bring yer own change," she said (another brief hesitation). "Sir."

I looked at her. I looked over at the kiosk. She made it clear she was finished with me. I figured the kiosk didn't care one way or the other.

So, as of today, I am a proud investor of AT&T. I now have an investment equaling the grand total of $3.98! Is that what they mean by pay it forward?

Thanks AT&T! Another happy customer (insert nasty grumble here)!

No comments:

Post a Comment