fuzzy, black dogs

fuzzy, black dogs
The original three fuzzy, black dogs -- Bob, Ace and Lilly.

Phillip's Scenic Overlook

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Students - Three, Teacher - Nil

School has begun yet again. The work days leading up to the students arrival were uneventful. I actually got to bed on time. Everything was going smoothly until I woke up and -- BAM!

I had stepped in the shower, which is the first thing I do upon waking. That's when I dropped a new, full bottle of shampoo. I managed to hit only one of my ten toes. I went through my day believing piggie R4 (right foot, fourth toe) to be broken.

As the week progressed, I discovered the toe was not broken. Sore and swollen with an infection, but not broken.

As of this writing, it's already been an interesting week, and it's not even over yet! One of our twins mouthed off at me in the hallway.

Now, don't get me wrong, she wasn't 'mouthing off' at me in a bad way. To the contrary, she was silently enunciating each word carefully, as if to quietly warn me there was a guy with a hockey puck mask and machete right behind me. There wasn't, obviously, but she was clearly trying to tell me something. 

And then there was the kindergartner. I don't usually deal with kindergartners, unless they're in my car rider line at the end of the day.

I won't say who won, but we went about three rounds. He cheated. When the bell sounded to end the rounds, he did NOT go to his corner! And he hit below the belt, figuratively speaking, of course.

There is to be no solace in the cafeteria line for this little ole' teachers assistant. That was where one of my girls looked at my name tag and asked me who was in the picture on my name tag. Then she scrutinized it a bit longer, noting every detail and looked up at me again.
"Hey," she said, finally. "Is that YOU in that picture, Mr. Haworth?!"
I wasn't sure how to interpret the incredulity that I noted in her voice.

I either look a lot better than I do in that ID, or else I look a lot worse. Could I have aged that much in three years? Don't tell me. I don't want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment