fuzzy, black dogs

fuzzy, black dogs
The original three fuzzy, black dogs -- Bob, Ace and Lilly.

Phillip's Scenic Overlook

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Griswolds Make Grizzly Neighbors

I've lived at my little corner now for approximately seven years. In all that time, I've only recently discovered that Clark W. Griswold, the fictional character from the movie "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation," lives directly behind me!

The poor guy recently fell off his roof. It happened around 10pm one evening, several weeks back. Thankfully, he did survive the approximate 25-foot fall. Sadly, he didn't escape injury.

He could've been stringing Christmas lights, though I heard he was cleaning out his gutters when it happened. That late at night, both stories sound dubious, if you ask me.

Regardless, it wasn't until a week ago that I finally made the connection between the neighbor and his similarity to Chevy Chase's movie character. A week ago was when Cousin Eddie moved in.

I must have been at work when the RV first rolled into place. Now the view out my kitchen window consists of Eddie's RV in the road in front of their house, yellow and orange power cords racing between the house and the mobile, silver living quarters. 

I find it strange that I didn't make the connection earlier. When we first moved in, he introduced himself in my back yard in the dark to my mother-in-law. He was barefoot, wearing a t-shirt and underwear, and sporting a steaming cup of coffee. He informed her that he was an insomniac.

For approximately three years, he woke my wife and me up every weekend in the Spring and Fall. During those seasons, every Saturday without fail, he cranked up a bulldozer at 6am in order to grade his back yard. 

That's a whole lot of grading! One would think he was building a pool.

Turns out it took three years of grading in order to make his man cave! The back yard 'storage shed' he built covers more square footage than my house! The two-story structure is replete with electricity, AC and running water. So that's all the other noises we heard...

No comments:

Post a Comment