fuzzy, black dogs

fuzzy, black dogs
The original three fuzzy, black dogs -- Bob, Ace and Lilly.

Phillip's Scenic Overlook

Monday, May 12, 2014

You Know You're Getting Old...

I've heard it said before that age is just a number. I've also recently become aware of the fact that my own personal number is steadily increasing.
 
However, I'm not too worried about it. My plan is simple. It involves aging gracefully, like a fine wine. According to this plan, I'll only get better from here!
I'd like to think that, thus far, I have managed to achieve my goal.

Regardless, I have managed to compile a brief list of personal experiences that have made me realize that I am, whether gracefully or not, getting old.
With that being said, you know you're getting old when..

When the flower girl at your wedding posts college graduation photos of herself on Facebook.

When your wife starts talking about a gray streak in your hair that you were not previously aware of or seen for yourself.

When first-graders say, "Whoa! You're older than my grandma (or grandpa), Mr. Haworth!"

When your wife announces on your 19th wedding anniversary, "Whew! This marriage has been the longest 45 years of my life!"

When your son tells you your "wings" are coming along nicely.

When your knees pop louder than a soda can every time you stand up.

When the holes in your jeans have run their course.

Come on, you all know what I mean! The holes start at the knees for young kids. Young adults accrue holes in the butt first. As you age more, I've discovered, the holes appear first in the pockets!

When, according to my father-in-law, you're thinking, "You know, 70 really doesn't seem that old."

1 comment: