fuzzy, black dogs

fuzzy, black dogs
The original three fuzzy, black dogs -- Bob, Ace and Lilly.

Phillip's Scenic Overlook

Monday, January 14, 2013

Reflections of the Holiday Season

As each year passes, I tend to look back on the Christmas season and reflect. I also look back on it and rate it according to how unique, trauma-filled, stressful or fun it was.

On a general scale of one to ten, with a ten being a horrible, stressful holiday season, I rated this past Christmas a two.

It seems the holidays really went pretty smoothly this year. A couple of ornaments fell, as they do every year, but no trees. I don't think any ornaments or gifts were eaten. No one was hurt, maimed or traumatized... At least, none that I know of!

The most unsettling thing that happened were the fuzzy, black gifts we gave friends and family this past Christmas. I felt like I needed to pass out razors with the gifts just to shave the fur off!

Over the holidays, Ace took up residence under the Christmas tree. Add that to the usual shedding of all three dogs and suddenly the gifts begin to resemble a litter of black, furry pups beneath the Christmas tree!

I enjoyed the seeming restfulness of the holiday season this year, though. It was a nice respite from years past when we've had trees knocked over, ornaments eaten and trees brown early. Dogs generally don't care what vessel holds their water, so long as it's wet.

I've nearly completed putting the remnants of Christmas away. The ornaments, lights and garland have all been put away in my nearly OCD style.

"Holidays," part of the decorative words Happy Holidays which we display in our house, still stands atop of the door waiting to be tucked away. And "Happy?" Well, it stays put since my son told a few years ago, "We can always use some extra 'Happy' all year round, daddy."

No comments:

Post a Comment