fuzzy, black dogs

fuzzy, black dogs
The original three fuzzy, black dogs -- Bob, Ace and Lilly.

Phillip's Scenic Overlook

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What Would You Do?

It looks like school has started yet again. My teachers have got me working hard putting their classrooms together so that they'll be ready when the students start to arrive. Of course, they're working just as hard as I am to have everything ready to go.

The funny thing, though, is I'm looking forward to school and the assignments that ensue. I've been known to take on some of the students' assignments on my own time and share my results later with the teachers.

Last school year, one teacher asked the students to write about what they would do if Thing One and Thing Two came to their house. The work I turned in, which follows, was a bit longer than any of the students' work.

Thing One and Thing Two raced into my home.
They messed up the kitchen and dad's shaving foam.

Round and round they raced. They were looking for something.
They tore up each room by running, bumping and jumping.

I stopped those two Things in the hall with my rope.
I stopped so maybe they'd leave... Well, I hoped.

I asked, "Why are you running all around the house like that?"
"The hat's missing!" they both yelled. "The Cat! His hat! The Cat lost his hat!"

I just stood there and blinked. I didn't know what to do.
Should I look for the hat with Thing One and Thing Two?

"We'll find that hat," I said with a start.
"A Cat with no hat is like a Cat with no heart!"

I said, "Let's start low." So we went down the stairs.
Down in the cellar we found mom's old broken chairs.

We looked in the bathroom, the den and the kitchen.
We looked in my sister's pink colored bedroom. And then...

That's when I saw it. It fluttered in the breeze.
It was outside her window on a branch in the trees.

I said the hat was too high. We needed a ladder.
Those Things said, "Too high? Ha! That doesn't matter!"

Thing One jumped upon me. Thing Two did as well.
Could our tower be high enough? I just couldn't tell.

Those Things reached. They stretched. They went higher and higher.
I reached and I stretched until I started to tire.

Then Thing Two yelled, "Aha! I got it! Let's go!"
Then they jumped off of me and they ran. Go! Go! Go!

I watched as they went. They ran out of sight.
They'll give that hat to the Cat and make everything right.

You know, I finished the assignment. Funny, I never did receive a grade. I just hope I passed...

No comments:

Post a Comment